Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Therapeutic Yoga : ) Loving Amy

Today I enjoyed Therapeutic Yoga with a new teacher, Linda.  She isn't a new teacher, but she was new to me.  I LOVED IT. 

We started by laying on our backs.  We were asked to breathe deeply and slowly.  I always start out very nervous, my breath a little scattered or a little too forced.  I enjoy it when my breath becomes more uninhibited.  I am super inhibited.  Every class, in the beginning, I am out of breath, very talkative and jokey.  I am not open to just be me at first.  This class was a chance for me to learn how to make my practice all about me.  I admit, I am too concerned with what I can't do or how well others are doing.  It is a major distraction and can be really frustrating. 

As we continue to stretch and move our limbs into various poses, my Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot comes out to piss me off again.   This pain in the heel and outer edge of my left foot started after I had been doing yoga for about 3 months.  When it first happened, I could hardly walk.  Now, I don't really notice it at all until Warrior Pose.  OUCH!  It never fails to flare up and it did today.  I was so frustrated as I forced myself to stay in that pose and the pain was so bad.  I had to stop the pose, feeling like a failure.  It hurt so that I couldn't even do a Tree Pose. (Balance) Linda, the wonderful teacher, came over and I explained I had Plantar Fasciitis.  I continued to struggle until Linda came over to me and said, "Amy, go into Child's pose."  It was not a request.  I needed her to tell me to stop.  I went into Child's pose, panting.  I felt a bit like a loser for a moment.  Then we went on to some side stretches and poses on the knees and I felt like I was doing great. 

At the end of class, we had a nice repose with sounds of the sea and almost total darkness.  Someone became so relaxed I heard a SNORE!  I was very mature and didn't giggle hysterically.  : )  It was at that time I made a definite choice to pray and to focus on or day dream about my goals.  I smiled and breathed.  It was wonderful.

At the end of class, I expressed my anger about the foot problems.  I admitted I felt like it ruined my whole practice.  Linda really set me straight.  "Amy, just do the best you can and if it hurts, you skip those poses.  It's all in the mind.  (She didn't say this in a snotty way!)  You will work on whatever it is that is causing it and then it won't bother you anymore."  That's it.  Sounds simple.  It was like...yeah, it will work itself out.  I refuse to feel badly anymore because I can't do something.  I love myself so much I don't want to hurt or feel like a loser.  I love myself so much, I will go into Child's pose and care for myself...and pray.  : )

Today's class was probably one of the most wonderful because I learned something about loving myself.  That is what this whole practice is about for me.  Loving myself.  "If you don't love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else!  Can I get an AMEN up in here!"  (RuPaul xo) 

I want to let everyone know that as I learn more and more about yoga, so will you.  I will be able to name the poses and have more insight.  You are learning with me. 

For those who do not know what Plantar Fasciitis is, here is a definition provided by Web MD.  : )

Plantar fasciitis is the most common cause of heel pain. It is caused by repeated strain on the plantar fascia, the ligament that connects the heel bone to the toes, supporting the arch of the foot. A strained plantar fascia causes weakness, swelling, and inflammation, especially in one or both heels. Causes of plantar fasciitis include rolling the feet inward while walking; having high arches or flat feet; and running, walking, or standing for along periods of time.

Peace Love JOY
Amy

The picture is from a FB friend's pictures.  That is where I "steal" most of the cool pictures!  : )  ha ha 

No comments:

Post a Comment