Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Swami Vidyanananda

Swami Vidyanananda  

First of all, meeting Swami Vidyanananda was a wonderful experience.  I have never met a swami in my life and was unsure what she would be like in person.   From now on, for my sake in typing, I will simply call Swami Vidyanananda “Swami”.  I hope she wouldn’t mind; yet something tells me she would be fine with the shortened name in this much too small note on a very lovely experience.

I was terribly nervous, as always.  Really, I find this part of my current personality very irritating and growing very old.  Yet, I as continue to grow spiritually and mentally healthier, I feel that this trait will diminish.  I didn’t notice Swami when I came into the room.  I was a few minutes late, which I detest.  I prefer to arrive early to get comfy and calm down.  As I arrived, my dear friend and Kula member, Laura, was working the front desk at Prana yoga studio, southwest.  Laura, having been agoraphobic herself in the past, understood what I was feeling.  Laura immediately said to me, “Take a minute Amy, breathe.  You are fine.  They just started.  You are fine.”  Laura’s insightful words and calming demeanor helped me get it together and I proceeded into the studio space.  Dani, my guru, as I entered the studio somewhat late for the event, further supported me with a happy smile and a welcoming gesture.  I rushed to her side to sit on a cushion by the left side of the room.  I still hadn’t really noticed the Swami.  I was concentrating on Dani and what everyone else was doing in the room.  I know, I should only concentrate on my own world and not care or notice what people are doing.  I am on my way, but not quite there yet.  I was also happy to see one of my favorite yoga teachers, Bethanny, come into the space.  We were whispering for the Swami was chanting/praying.  I have no idea.  I heard nothing and have no memory of what she was saying at that moment. 

After this moment of song/prayer, Swami noted that there was space up front and invited for someone to occupy the seat.  I had no intention of going up to the front.  I was happy on the floor on the cushion.  Dani was not satisfied.  Bethanny fell in line with Dani and encouraged me to get to the front.  Disgruntled but trying to appear happy, I went up to the front row of chairs to sit directly in front of Swami.  Dani placed a blanket and cushion for under my feet and I looked up.

There sat a very tiny white lady with long gray hair tied back in a ponytail or braid.  What?  This is the SWAMI VIDNANANDA?    She’s a mouse and she is a white woman.  In fact, she is a white American woman.  What?  I was thinking, Swami = foreign, likely Indian, with a crisp and lilting accent to punctuate her every point.  Nope, this was a little tiny teeny lady who hailed from Florida.  What the hell was this presentation?  Aren’t Swamis supposed to be holy people, all quiet and reverent and prayer like? 

Swami may have been tiny in the size of her physical body, but her spiritual body and personality boomed over me.  She was happy, happy and happy.  She was not perfect.  She was wearing the typical clothes, dyed orange, which one sees on monks and swamis.  She had a scarf around her neck, I would guess, more for warmth than style.  She had on socks that were a beige/whitish color and no other ornament.  Yet she seemed almost glamorous to me.  She had traveled a lot; she spoke French (that’s what she said, so, I am assuming she was not fibbing) and was graceful.  Yet she was also very kinetic and her vibe was strong. 

This workshop was about stress reducing your life.  There was much material covered over 2 days, 6 hours.  I will cover the subjects that I found most engaging. 

Let the stress go!  Don't carry the baggage around and BE FREE!


“When we stretch, we need to learn when our effort becomes a strain, and back off from straining.  Then we can apply this lesson to anything we do.  We can learn how to work in a way that’s relaxed, beneficial and productive.  Straining is painful and leads to burnout and stress.”  Swami Vidnananda handout

Also, Swami stated, if the yoga isn’t yummy, it isn’t yoga.  So, I try to apply that to my own yoga practice.  If it hurts, I stop.  Yoga = Yummy  : )

Swami also said that the difference between sorrow and depression is self-hatred.  That rang true for me.  I realized that I have been building up quite a reservoir of self-hatred since I was a small girl.  I mean, real self-hatred.  I would treat myself so badly physically and mentally, frankly, it’s a wonder I am still alive.  I don’t care to sound dramatic; it’s just the truth.

Swami also stated that if one believes that everything that happens to you comes from the hands of a loving God or Creator, even the bad things, one can get through life with much less stress.  This made me remember the statement, “Give it to God.”  I am not a huge fan of structured religion for me, but I like to take bits and pieces from many beliefs/religions and make them mine.  Giving my problems to God or the Universe or any number of Saints (I was raised Catholic and the Saints are good workers!) does relieve my stress.  Even if it lasts only a moment, it’s a peaceful moment and I am very grateful for it. 

“Relaxation helps us experience an innate sense of self-worth that is not dependent on the approval of others.  I can act free of the tension that arises when I need to prove myself.  I can work with a mind that is creative and open, instead of a mind that is stifled under the pressure of trying to be good enough.”  Swami Vidnananda handout


This is me from about 5 or 6 years ago.  If this Amy knew that I was in yoga and getting my teaching certificate in yoga, she would pass out!  I like this picture of me.  I am pretending to be astonished and excited to be in Angola, In.  I was faking it!  It was for a silly and time waster meeting.  So glad those days are over!  I look cute!  I am so fucking gorgeous, really!  ha ha  Namaste

It has been through yoga and my Yoga Teacher training that I have learned the importance of relaxation.  When I have completed a practice of yoga or meditation, I feel safe, loved and at peace.  When I do not meditate or do a yoga practice, not only do I suffer physically, mentally I am a mess.  It’s so much easier to take the relaxation route.  Being kind to myself has taken time, but it is happening more and more.  By going to yoga, taking the teacher training and attending events/workshops, I give so much to myself.  I feel self-love.  I love Amy.  Xo

Swami also went over some chair yoga poses to help one relax while at work or wherever.  Swamis also recommended we all name someone a “purpose” partner.  This person would help us remain accountable to our goals to relax and lead a more meaningful and enjoyable life.  At least, that is how I understood the concept of purpose partner.  I know I need to change my environment at home and in my heart.  My home is a wreck right now.  There are too many possessions; too much clutter, dirt/dust bunnies and things are in a state of disrepair.  I learned that to clear my heart/mind, I must see it in my house, my work (writing/art/photography in the future) and in my relationships to others.  I want a clear head and heart.  I need to do the work.  A “purpose partner” is needed. 

In the 2nd day of the workshop, we discussed The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Translation and Commentary by Sri Swami Satchidananda.  Because the Sutras are vast, Swami chose to cover only a few and really speak on them in a broad way.  Swami stated that the Sutras are about training the mind to choose happiness.  One must direct focus to happiness and to renounce anything or anyone who gets into the way to your happiness.  Swami stated that when you have gotten older, your life would be much better and remembered with a kinder eye if you were happy.  Swami went on to say the denser the vehicle the denser or clouded is one’s maya (our senses), our spirit, and our “self”.  Swami stated that we have to be asleep to duality, good and evil.  Our identification with the body made Adam ashamed of his nakedness in the Garden of Eden.  The sense of a separate self is what keeps one from knowing oneself.  We are all one.  The same.  We are not separate.  Swami went on to say that “thought reaps an action reaps a habit reaps a character reaps your destiny.”  In other words, our thoughts, if negative, accumulate like a pile of garbage until a negative trait or action manifests in our life.  So, train your body.  Train your body with Asana and pranayama, and your body will remember and it will be.  It will just be.  Yoga, breathing and meditation, you train your body and your mind goes…Oh..yeah.  I know this stuff. 


One point the Swami made that I adored was this:  …if you notice your thoughts have wavered  (during yoga/meditation) you’ve succeeded at meditation…you simply noticed your thoughts, so you have done it!”

Swami also stated that when you have control over your body, you could have so much more fun.  She also said if you are meditating and your mind is racing, track where there is discomfort in the body and then just be aware of it.  If you need to sit in a more comfy position, do it.  Do whatever you need to do to relieve the discomfort then relax about it.  Do not go crazy trying to figure out why your mind is racing, just notice it.  Being focused and mindful are 2 types of meditation yet they are not exclusive to each other.  Be balanced between the 2 types of meditation.  Yin Yang  Tamas and Rajas  The Sattva guna, rising above the Tamas and Rajas, the balanced calm part of the mind where you see clearly your True Self.  What leads to Sattva?  Your lifestyle choices affect your ability to reach Sattva.  You have to make choices to balance out your mind.  Tamas are the inertia and Raja are the activity.  Sattva balances Tamas as it moves through Raja to get to Sattva.  Swami stated one should learn to apply what needs to be done to get to Sattva, to gain balance. 

Swami stated one needs to practice non attachment.  This will help and increase one’s spiritual practice.  You’ve got to learn to “untie your boat” to gain spirituality.  (Swami Vidyanananda)  Swami recommended a book, The Artist’s Way.  Swami also said, and I love this, “Blame” means giving my power away.  I LOVE THAT!  Get rid of Blame.  It takes your power away.  I love that so much.  Also, say “no” and don’t feel badly about it.  If you feel bad about it, you might as well have said yes.  Remember, even the annoying person complaining to you or bugging you is perfect to the core.  Swami said to detach compassion from co-dependence.  Don’t ruminate over another person’s bad behavior; adopt an indifference to bad behavior and events.  It will save you life.  I feel so good when I am indifferent to other’s bad behavior or whatever is being thrown my way.  I feel free and happy.  I can really smile.  A meaningful smile feels much nicer on my face than a fake smile. 

Swami told me I was “beautifully irreverent” and she hugged me close.  She also asked if she could take me home!  I would have gone.  Think of all the great things I could learn from this woman. 

Swami Vidyanananda, I adore you.  She is someone I consider a real guru.  She showed me what a lifetime of happy could do, as I looked into her shiny eyes and cheeky grin as we hugged.  She is a real person, really doing it.  She is the real thing.  What a blessing.  Namaste

(Regrettably, I have no pictures from my time with Swami Vidyanananda.  I will try to scam some from people in the know, if you know what I mean!  ha)

No comments:

Post a Comment