Monday, September 26, 2011

Karma Yoga Project

Karma Yoga Project

Our Karma yoga group participated in creating a Labyrinth shaped garden for St. Henry’s Catholic Church in Southeast Fort Wayne.  We met on a sunny day on August 11, 2011.  The morning was warm yet not overwhelming.  There was a breeze and the sun was not yet intensely hot.

The members of our Karma Yoga Project were, Erin, Colleen, Tanna, Claudia, Chris and Laura.  Me too!

After much time spent figuring out the “plan” for the garden, digging began.  The digging never ended.  We ended the day digging. 

Since I couldn’t physically dig, I provided the “eye candy” and laughter factors to the event.  I did a lot of digging, but it was while on the ground, using my hands and arms.  My knees are too weak and incredibly sore, preventing me from digging.  (Too bad, right?  )  I did feel a part of the group.  Not one of the girls made me feel badly for not being able to dig.  Well, the woman organizing the event for St. Henry’s was not terribly pleased.  I was not providing the appropriate “serf” behavior for her liking.  C’est la vie, n’est pas???  Ha ha 

Chris had her eye on me.  Why?  She was worried about my skin.  Chris would constantly say, “Amy, I have some sunscreen…don’t you want some sunscreen?” for the sun had become hotter and was turning on the burn.  Only, I felt fine.  I was wearing long pants and a t-shirt.  My skin didn’t feel badly and I didn’t feel overheated. 

Sometimes, I literally played in the dirt.  My clothes, skin and hair were full of Mother Earth.  I liked it.  I am very close to the mentality of a 6 year old when it comes to play.  I pulled much of the turf out of the tunnels the ladies had dug.  I pulled it out with me bare hands!  It was fun.

The best part of the day was listening to the ladies talk about themselves and their lives.  I heard ghost stories, kid stories (snore : )  romantic stories and horror stories!  As a writer, I was in heaven.  : )

I could not physically provide much support, yet I do feel that I provided a good presence.  Meaning, I was fully there.  I was in the NOW of the moment and went with the flow.  I had just been diagnosed with severe degenerative disease of my right knee.  I am sure my left knee is not much better.

Laura actually wrote up a gorgeous essay on our Karma yoga project.  She wrote it in first person, yet it was inclusive to all of us.



By the way, I did get a nice sunburn.  I should have listened to Chris.  OOPS

Peace Love

No comments:

Post a Comment